Thursday, April 25, 2013

Skipping Stones


Skipping Stones 
She skipped stones
across the sun-stared river
and each stone was a prayer
for the stream and the sun
and the sand,
warm under bare feet.
She sent out stones like
letters in a bottle
to some unseen being
in whom she puts all her trust
and love.

She grew, and clouds came
sticks and jagged rocks clogged the stream.
Her tears made ripples on the surface
Murky water.

She returns, or perhaps
never left
but all the same she picks up a stone
feeling its weight
the cold against her palm
and tosses it 
half heartedly 
into the water

Splash. Another and another
until her stones are shouts, begging
answer, please, I can’t-
I’m no small child skipping stars
I need more than a dead stream
and sinking stones
I need, I need- You. Please.

This stones sinks
quiet as her whispered prayer
slips out to the sea, slips into the sky.

Her fingers, red and white
blotchy with cold
scrabble in the sand
find another stone, the last
and desperately she sinks to her knees
flicks her wrist. Skip
ripple
skip
And then the stone
Returned
warm, sitting in her palm
blazing with a word.

1 comment:

  1. A tad sad, but I loved it. I found it interesting how it went from a somewhat happy and calm to sad and depressed but ended with a hopeful note. This part was probably my favorite.

    "She sent out stones like
    letters in a bottle
    to some unseen being
    in whom she puts all her trust
    and love."

    ReplyDelete